How to Spend Time Alone – A Brief Guide
What Would you do?
Imagine a world without money, where you are completely free to do anything you want to do. Anything in the world. How would you spend your time? What would you do? How to spend time?
This is a common question that life coaches ask their clients when trying to uncover what people’s passions are, and to rekindle and excitement and inspiration for life.
This article is about what I would do if I could do anything in the world. It’s a pretty fun exercise to do because it makes you imagine doing all sorts of fun stuff! If you’d like to rediscover your interests, passions and find out what kind of stuff you’d like to do with your time, join me in making your own list and see what you come up with!
I think one thing I’d do differently in a world without money, without a need to work for a living, is play a lot more! It’s what kids do, and part of me believes that the only reason we grow out of playing is because we have less time for it as we grow up and have to face up to responsibilities like working.
I’d spend time with my friends and family, playing a wide range of games ranging from:
- Sporty games: Like basketball and tennis, as well as less sporty games like badminton, archery, table tennis and darts.
- Word games & Mind Stimulating Games: Things that stimulate your mind and keep it finely tuned whilst it feels like a fun game. Games like Boggle, Scrabble, Apples to Apples, Trivial Pursuit and crosswords. Maybe hosting a pub quiz evening with friends and family could be another fun thing to do.
- Acting / Drama Games: These are the kind of acting games that keep you loose and uninhibited, like charades where you have to act words out no matter how silly you look, or other games like group improvised shared story telling, “yes and”ing, and freeze tag.
- Drawing games : Like Pictionary or Draw Something.
- Board Games & Card Games: There are tons of fun games you can play with friends and family which are good old-fashioned fun! From Risk, chess, checkers and backgammon to Spit (aka Speed) and Bridge.
- Computer Games: There are so many fun computer games out there and they’re particularly fun to play with friends and family. I’d replay old adventure games like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle as well as enjoying newer ones like Heavy Rain, L.A. Noire, Portal 2 and Wii games.
- Extreme and action sports: There are lots of fun but serious sporting methods available which you can try once at least. Para trooping, hiking, driving go karts could be some of your choices.
2) Spend Time Doing Stuff that Inspires Me
For me, this includes things like:
- Seeing other people’s drawings, paintings, sculptures, photography, cool and original designs and other various arty creations, whether online or in galleries or in exhibitions. It also includes being in beautiful settings, manmade or natural, which inspire you to capture the images in photos or some other art form.
- Listening to music that inspires me to create music of my own,
- Tasting dishes that make me want to run to the nearest kitchen to try and come up with equally delicious dishes,
- Watching movies, vlogs and youtube videos which make you want to make your own
- Reading wonderful books and articles that are so much fun to read that they motivate me to reach for my keyboard to start writing my own
Having been thoroughly inspired, I would then throw myself joyously into creating anything my heart desires!
- Art: I would draw, paint, design, photograph, sculpt.. Maybe I’d go to classes to improve these skills. I would enjoy the way I can express myself with colors, hand movements and shapes. And I would take joy in making something pretty that I had fun making and that others would enjoy seeing.
- Music: I would compose songs and bask in the delicious flow of creation as music appears in my mind and immediately excudes from my musical instrument. I would learn how to use music software like FL Studio and Sibelius to enable me to make complex orchestra. I would appreciate the joy of sound; the joy of creation of harmonies and hopefully the joy others receive upon hearing my creations.
- Write: I would write that novel I’ve always been meaning to write. I would love creating a world, characters, a unique story, and it would be challenging and fun to put myself in my characters shoes, exploring their personalities and living the exciting story in my mind as I create it.
- Cook: At the moment I don’t cook, mostly because I feel like I don’t have the time. But if I had all the time in the world to do anything, I would try making all sorts of exotic recipes that you can’t get in restaurants. I would experiment with world cuisines, from Afghani recipes to Zambian! And hopefully I’d get better at cooking somewhere along the way! 😀
4) Just Hanging Out and Chatting with Loved Ones
If I had all the time in the world and could do anything, I’d make sure I set aside time to simply sit down with my loved ones and have a good chat. There’s nothing quite like exchanging ideas, opinions, jokes and enjoying the wonderful energy as you’re surrounded by people who you love and who love you too!
5) Learn All the Things!
I really do love to learn new things and if I had the time in a world where money did not exist, I would learn so many things! I’d take lessons in:
- Musical instruments: I’d learn to play the ukulele, guitar, accordion, flute, drums and maybe even the violin
- Singing and Voice lessons: I’ve always wanted to improve my singing and voice projection. With all the time in the world it would be a perfect opportunity to work on these.
- Music software: I’d take lessons in how to use FL Studio and Sibelius to learn how to produce wonderful songs.
- Photography: To be able to capture the beauty of the world and share it with others
- Interesting stuff: I’d read up on everything that ever interested me, from psychology to history.
- Learn how to grow my own vegetables I’d get a great gardener to teach me the art of growing vegetables so that I could have my own home-grown, fresh veggies to enjoy!
- Various crafts: I’ve always wanted to try my hand at crochet, knitting, plush toy making, jewelry making, clay work and making stuff with other materials. If I could do anything, I’d make time to learn how to do some of these and see if I enjoy it.
- Healthy cooking lessons Since I’m not much of a cook, it would save some disasters in the kitchen if I had a tutor on hand to teach me to follow his recipes!
- Dance lessons: It looks like a lot of fun to move in perfect timing with the music and lose yourself to the rhythm. I’d love to have private dance lessons in a bunch of different types of dance, from salsa to waltz, with an excellent dancer like they do on Dance with the Stars (maybe once a week or so).
- Survival skills: I think it would be cool to know basic survival skills like how to navigate by the stars or sun; how to make a fire ; what you can eat in the forest ; stuff like that. People like Ray Mears do courses where you can learn such skills. It would be amazing to go on one of those!
- Make time to learn random tricks like handstands and Back Flips : Not really useful, but could be fun!
6) Try out Adventurous Experiences
There are some things I’ve always wanted to try which I’ve never attempted for whatever reasons; time and money being some of them. These include:
- Trapeze lessons! Yeh.. I know, this one is a bit out there! But it looks like fun! As long as you’re tied up with a safety rope of course!
- Playing in a band: I’ve never done it because I always thought I wasn’t at that level of skill to play with others without everyone getting exasperated at my mistakes, but it would be wonderful to have a go feeling the “oneness” of playing together – all the different parts coming together to form a beautiful sound, and to know you’re an important part of making this beautiful creation.
7) Spend Time Experimenting With Jobs I’ve Always Wanted to Do
To get a better understanding of what’s involved in certain fields, it would be cool to spend some time trying out each field I’ve always been curious about trying. This includes:
- Observe the filming of a TV program or movie and spend time at all the various departments seeing how it all works
- Spend time with writers of Pixar movie scripts, see what’s involved and help them brainstorm cool ideas that people would really enjoy!
- Get to know famous authors and ask them about their lives and their inspirations
- Maybe hang out with famous film music composers like John Williams, James Horner, Rachel Portman and John Powell and see what “a day in the life” is like on the job.
- Hang in the studios when they’re filming voice acting for Disney/ Pixar films and kids shows. Maybe have a go myself!
8) Visit All the Places in the World I’d Like to See
This was partly in my (1.) on getting inspired by things I see, but I think Travel deserves its own separate point too. I’d love to see all the beautiful cities in the world and all the stunning sights including:
- The tulip fields of Holland
- The sunflower fields of France and various wild flower fields around the world.
- Beautiful cities like Edinburgh, Dublin and New York.
- Enchanting National Parks like Yosemite and Yellowstone
- One winter I’d like to see the aurora Northern Lights in all their glory.
- I’d like to go to see the night stars on a clear night when there’s no light from buildings around
- See the pretty Christmas lights in various cities of the world
- Enjoy seeing firework displays in the most iconic sites in the world
9) Design my Perfect Home – Inside and Out
With all the time and money in the world I would build my dream home from scratch and fill it with all the beautiful things to create the most wonderful environment to live and spend most days.
10) Make Time to Notice and Appreciate All the Good Feelings
With all the wonderful things I want to do, I’d like to remember to always take the time to appreciate them and fully savour the deliciousness of the good feelings.
So as I spend time with loved ones, I’d like to appreciate the feelings of great love, every day..
As I see beautiful sights, hear inspiring music, taste amazing dishes and experience magnificent things I’d like to experience appreciation for it all every day.
I hope I’ll always take time to appreciate every time I laugh or smile and take a moment to appreciate feeling healthy and good every day.